Saturday 12 May 2012

Thing 1: Blogs and Blogging

Last year I was intrigued by CPD23 – 23 Things for Professional Development. This is a programme looking at various tools and aspects of social media and professional development, aimed at library and information types, and anyone else who’d like to join us. This year, I’ve actually signed up! For me, it’s a way of getting started with a blog, getting over that “my words, out there, uggh!” thing, and meeting some of my colleagues in the wider library world.

I could probably be described as a bit of a watcher-from-afar, as a lot of people doing cpd23 seem to be! The truth is you’re more likely to find me watching the world go by on twitter than diving in and getting involved. And there are some fantastic blogs out there, but I probably haven’t mentioned that to the bloggers writing them. And of course, the last thing the world needs is another library blog. And as doe putting my noodlings up online – I mean, someone might read them… Or nobody might read them…

In the real world, I work as a part-time supervisor in an academic library, mostly dealing with the circulation side of things in a site library, and increasingly learning about the Library Management System. For the last couple of years I’ve also been an information services librarian in a public library, dealing with intellectual property, European information and helping out with the very wonderful Enquire service, as well as anything else that comes along. Sadly, I’m going to be finishing in that role this week, so it’s either a very good or a very bad time to start a reflective blog!  I’m hoping it’ll give me a push to bring my revalidation portfolio together, and get more involved beyond my organisation.

So that’s me, in a rather rambling nutshell. I’m now off blog-hopping, to find out who else is going to give this a go.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel - Thanks for commenting on my blog, thought I'd return the favour! It's a bit scary isn't it taking those first steps to get 'out there' - I feel the same way. I also think I need to expand and maybe consider writing more than one sentence per post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie, thanks for stopping to comment. At least your shorter posts are getting up there! Hope Cardiff was good.

    ReplyDelete