Wednesday 23 May 2012

Thing 2½: Neighbours

So, after realising that social media is supposed to be social, let’s get back to the question - what I’ve read and who I’ve met!

The joy of CPD23 is the mix of people taking part – worldwide, all sectors, at varying career stages and extremely different levels of social media confidence. My original plan of following a few people from different places and sectors has completely gone by the wayside, in favour of ‘ooh look, a thing’ *click*. The fact that the programme's so flexible also helps - Thing 4 has already been posted, I’m still on Thing 2, but so are lots of other people… and off I go to see what they have to say.

I’ve particularly valued having a safe place to start blogging, a shallow end, where you can meet and say hi to other people who are similarly new to the whole thing, and can encourage each other along. The Savvy School Librarian’s Thing 2 post inspired me to post my first comment, while Julie at Revalidation Journey  and Asha K are both, in different ways, encouraging me to keep going!

I have learnt stuff! Evan at Learning Learner pointed out the value of including useful links in your blog, while Nia reminded us to stay positive. I will try!

It’s great to have more experienced bloggers involved:  Collections in a cold climate is what my blog wants to be when it grows up (this may take some time!). And I definitely need pictures – they won't be as beautiful as librarydotor as far-flung as Phil, the wandering librarian, but I’m sure I can find an excuse to squeeze in a couple of seaside pics.

I do have lots of blogger-y questions – things I’d like to try or work out. I know I’m being followed, but am yet to work out how I can follow other people’s blogs.  I think a blog list down the side of the screen is a good plan – in time! And photos may happen, one day…

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    I tried to post a comment a few days ago, but it doesn't seem to have worked, so here's the second attempt!

    There are a couple of different ways to follow peoples blogs, you can subscribe to RSS feeds (think it's covered in Thing 4) and some people's blogs have a 'subscribe by email' widget on them. You can also choose to follow someone's blog in your profile section in Blogger (doesn't have to be the same blogs as on your public blog list), just go to the 'Reading List' and click the add button, then cut and paste the URL of the blog you want to follow. Every time you log in to Blogger it will show you the most recent posts from the blogs you are following.

    But probably the simplest way is to just add the blogs you like to your favourites bar, and put them all in a folder together.

    Hope that helps

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very belated thank you, Kristine! I think it's the 'Reading List' - 'Add' thing I'd been missing or looking for, so I'm off to try that now. Thanks again,
      Rachel

      Delete