Tuesday 22 May 2012

Thing 2: Borrowing cups of sugar

Thing 2 has been about meeting the neighbours, and stopping by to say hello.

And my revelation for the week has been blog comments. Although I quite happily jump about reading (and appreciating) blogs, as a non-blogger, the whole comments thing has just seemed a bit weird and not entirely necessary.  In amongst the valid questions and interesting debates that occasionally appear at the bottom of a blog post, you usually see a lot of comments going ‘Yep. I agree. Cool post’, or something equally profound, and I’ve always kind of felt ‘why bother?’ Well, newsflash. These comments are not aimed at you (or me), dear lurking reader, they’re a show of support for the blogger themselves, very often, no doubt, from other bloggers – a connection, an excuse to say hello, a word of encouragement, a way of letting people know ‘I’m reading this and I value it’.

So I’ve started posting comments.  A little thing, but a real penny-dropping moment for me!

5 comments:

  1. I can promise that you're not the only one to have had that penny-dropping moment!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to hear that! Thanks, Katie :)

      Delete
  2. Happened to me as well. And it feels so good when someone leaves a comment on your blog and you feel you've connected with someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nia. Daft isn't it? Seems so obvious now...

      Delete
  3. Hi Rachel,

    Thanks for your comment. Best of luck with the rest of 23 Things!

    Phil

    ReplyDelete